Saturday, October 16, 2010

When You Do All The Talking

Lately I have been doing a lot of talking with people about my troubles with Jakes.  I have vented here, several times.  I have engaged a therapist just for me to help with the decision I feel I am facing.  I have chatted informally with the psychologist on staff at my agency, I shared some reports with him and he has met Jakes on a couple of occasions.  I have an appointment for an evaluation of Jakes on November 10th by a psychiatrist.  These are wonderful, helpful people with a vast knowledge of family therapy and dynamics that I have engaged to steer me in the right direction.  Needless to say, that's a lot of talking about Jakes.

In my email this week I received a reminder that I need to listen as well.    One of the secrets for finding answers to any emotional problem is to talk with friends that we can confide in fully.  Such friends are perfect listeners because they have suffered and survived the same types of problems.  They are compassionate and sympathetic.  They listen to us patiently while we completely describe our emotions.  Only then do they share details about how they survived.

They can't solve my problems but they can show me the tools that are available to work through the same kinds of problems.  I just have to be ready to listen when I am done talking.

Since I have gone to great lengths to engage these wonderful people, I will take the time to listen to the wisdom they have to depart to me.  Fate seems to have her way of reminding me.  If I didn't know better, I would think Mom was looking out for me.  Anything is possible!

2 comments:

  1. good insight, amy. i think sometimes we don't listen because we aren't ready to ... it's not that we don't have the skills ... maybe just not ready. when you are able to listen, i guarantee you will not only hear the words, but you will feel your friends' care and genuine interest in you and your family. maybe that is hard for you, too (?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. make sure you listen to yourself too b/c this is great....good job seeking out the answers...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some seeds