Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hobbies

When I was growing up, my mom was the most talented person I knew.  In addition to keeping the house and raising us kids, she sewed beautiful projects, she cross-stitched, and she gardened and canned the veggies.

Since I have been out on my own, I have never found that "thing" to do to amuse myself when the housework is done and the kid is in bed.  I've typically sat in front of the TV or surfed the web looking at stupid mind-numbing stuff.  Occasionally, I will find a book to read.

I can sew a bit (mom taught me the basics) but I never fell in love with it the way she did. I certainly don't have her talent.  She could see a dress in a store, do a quick drawing of it and come home to stitch it up.  I don't have the patience for cross-stitching and just don't have the desire to learn knitting or crocheting.

At one point, I played the flute and I love just about all things associated with music.  My choir practices start up again in September.  I can't WAIT!

I am looking for hobbies to do in the evenings after the house work is done and the kid is in bed.  I am looking a hobby that won't necessarily take me out of the house but has the possibility of expanding my social base.  I would love for it to be fairly inexpensive.

What are some interesting things you do with your down time?

4 comments:

  1. I used to do much more. Blogging has killed off my hobbies, and I kinda resent it.

    But I adore scrapbooking. That's where my passion lies because I'm so sentimental.

    I used to do cross-stitch and hook rug, etc. but my carpal tunnel syndrome makes that very difficult for me to do anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really into scrap-booking also. Have plans to get back into it this winter. I have plenty of stickers and paper to help you get started if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite hobby is reading. Sometimes I join the local library's reading club. Good luck finding a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. photography, caligraphy, sewing, knitting, cross-stitch, quilting, reading, writing, blogging.....do you want to hear more???? The list is endless.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some seeds