Monday, August 26, 2013

News with an Attitude

I posted a "just the facts, ma'am" entry about Dad's news.  We are still gathering all the information about what's going on with him.  The lab is still processing the biopsy but they have determined that it is cancer. They are still working on the staging of the tumor so there is still info to gather.  We should have that by next Wednesday.

Dad's primary Dr is going to make an appointment for Dad with the Fox Chase Cancer Center that is fairly local to us.  I am pleased with this decision.  Dad was talking about going to the Dr Mom used over 14 years ago.  This Dr is a good Dr and did everything he could for her.  But he's not affiliated with a Big Name Cancer research and treatment center.

I have been struggling with this news since Wednesday.  I have been wallowing and still imaging the worst outcome for my daddy.  And I have been afraid to talk or see Daddy, afraid that I couldn't be strong for him.

Well, he took that out of my hands by stopping by my work on his way home from the Drs.  Sitting in his truck in the parking lot, he told me the news, very matter-of-factly.  Then, he tells me that he has his fathers' genes.  My grandfather beat 5 different types of cancer. Dad said he's only beat 3 so he's not done until he beats Grandpop's record.  Ha-ha!  

You go, Daddy!  What an attitude!

BUT that attitude is helping me to change how I am reacting to this news. I feel my strength coming back.  I feel like I can be there for Daddy and can help him fight this nasty, miserable disease.

Its not going to be easy and I know there will be lows as well as highs. But attitude is everything.  And my Daddy has plenty of attitude.  And I am my father's daughter, with attitude!

2 comments:

  1. you can be...and it is important you keep in those high spirits for him as well....attitude...smiles...happy monday!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some seeds